Don't Whine, Jill- Why I Don't Complain About My Debt (usually)


Having a massive amount of debt can be a real downer. It’s easy to start thinking of everything you could be doing if that debt wasn’t hanging over your head. Mostly, I think about how, if I didn’t have this debt, I would have the freedom to work less, and spend more time with my family. There is not a thing in this world that I value more than that.

Still, I rarely get too upset about my debt, for a few reasons.

Although our student loan debt is enormous (>$230K), the graduate education we received from these loans has allowed us to make a relatively high income. I know there are plenty of people who may not have had such a large debt load, but also made less of an income, and they’ve successfully tackled their debt. It’s certainly overwhelming to think about conquering such a high number, but with hard work, I know that it is doable.

Also, although by some definitions we might be considered poor (having a negative net worth and all), that is in no way our reality. We have never once wanted for food or medical care. We have a safe and warm home, reliable transportation, and access to good schools. Combine that with loving family and friends, and we are, by my definition, incredibly rich. I never lose sight of how fortunate we are, and I thank my lucky stars every day. If I were to whine about not being able to go out for dinner or not have a professional stylist, well, I’d be a spoiled brat. Having debt still doesn’t change the fact that our lives are privileged in so many ways.

So, while I think about the debt a lot, and am eager to deal with it, I rarely talk about it, and I don’t complain (ok, except on rare occasions!). And if I ever start to complain on this blog, feel free to give me a virtual smack!

Comments

  1. Ha! I complain about my debt ALL the time, because it's AWFUL! But yeah, it certainly helps to keep things in perspective that my basic needs are now covered. Good on you for keeping a positive perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to keep it positive! But it's certainly possible that some whining escapes me sometimes:) Now that I think about it, though I really try not to complain in real life, this blog may be a perfect place to complain those times I'm feeling overwhelmed, so there might be more of it here! I know for sure there will be times that I'll feel discouraged in this process (this month is going to be one of those, I can tell).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

End of January 2018 Report

So Much To Do- Goals